for those who have never watched skins, it’s a show basically about british high school teens continuously getting trashed and high and doing crazy shit whilst also discovering themselves (or really just losing themselves even more) and confronting life’s tumbles and trials.
i have absolutely nothing in common with the characters in the show. if i ever met them in real life, i’d most likely scoff at what losers they are and expect little for their commercial fruitfulness in life. but in a strange way, skins has taught me some valuable lessons in life, particularly pertaining to youth. this has been immensely valuable to me, given that i am someone who very often forgets her youth. here are a few:
1. having no control over your life can be a very, very beautiful thing.
2. sleep is most definitely overrated
3. sometimes you need to be alone. you learn things when you’re alone.
4. youth really is forgiving. abuse it.
5. there are some things in life you will never be able to control. be the keenest observer of these things, but the least invested party.
6. everyone has a story. that doesn’t mean they are all equally interesting. but that doesn’t mean they are worth any less or more.
7. friends are worth it. and duration of friendship is a highly overrated measurement of friendship.